Sunday, May 10, 2009

I love you, Mama


“My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother.” ~George Washington

My mom, too, is the most beautiful woman I know, in every way.

She has a contagious smile and an optimism and joyful attitude that draws everyone to her like a happy magnet. She is young at heart and has a heart of gold.

She makes the best toast on earth, and even when I try to make it her way it never turns out as good. I know it's because the secret ingredient is love (and a little too much jam).

She's so strong, never calls in sick to work, and never gets sick because she wills herself to be healthy; after all, who has time to be sick?!

She never puts herself first, wanting to help everyone else, but in my heart she is always first. I hope it doesn't sound conceited to say that I am one of the things I love best about my mom, because I am part of her and she did a wonderful job raising my brothers and me. I really like the people we've become, and there is nothing more responsible for that than her and my dad bringing us up to be the best we can be.

She's a friend and a role model and a trusted source of advice. Her laughter seems to embrace everyone in the room, and there's nothing more cute or giddy than when a little snort laughs out with it. She's silly and loving, and open-minded but holds her ground.

I can find many exceptional quotes on oodles of subjects but when I look for quotes on moms there just aren't a lot of great ones. I find that odd because everyone from the dawn of time has had a mother, including so many millions of authors. Maybe because it's so difficult to put the essence of mother into words — yet another tribute to moms everywhere, that it's nearly impossible to condense your love for her into a sentence or two, maybe not even into an entire book.

But, what I have found I can do, is compress my love for her into a hug. I will be hugging my mom today — and you hug yours too, or if you can't hug her physically then hug her in spirit and find someone else's mom and give her a big hug!

"There's nothing like a mama-hug." ~Terri Guillemets

"My mother is a poem I'll never be able to write,
though everything I write is a poem to my mother." ~S. Doubiago


2 comments:

  1. Hi Terri,

    I just found your blog and wanted to visit you a while. I would have visited sooner had I known you were here.(smile)

    It's funny you should mention 'toast'...my grandson says no one can make it like I do. It is that secret ingredient, love, that makes it so special.(smile) I really like the thought of that!

    Your words filled my heart with warmth and light...thank you. I will be stopping back for another visit soon.(smile)

    Blessings to you,
    Mattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is also how I feel about my mother. And actually I did write a poem about her once. It was EPIC. And more than a few peeps thought I should make a picture book out of it. I <3 my mom.

    ReplyDelete