Sunday, June 21, 2009

I love you, Papa


Take 1

"Tell me the first time you knew he was going to be a good father," I asked my mom last week about my dad. When we were kids we had a garden in our back yard and also a small sandbox he built himself. Most of the stories she told me I had heard before, but what I didn't know was that he had planned those two things before we were even conceived....

Take 2

I am a good person. I have integrity. I am a hard worker. I am loving and caring. Family is important to me. I worry too much. I eat too much ice cream. I love learning. I love doing things myself. I love the outdoors, and I respect nature. I am patient.

Why am I all these things? Because I am my father's daughter....

Take 3

I remember always asking you if you would teach me to use the radial arm saw and you telling me I couldn't until I was as tall as it was. I remember when I walked into my bedroom, closed the door, and started dancing like crazy to "Venus" by Bananarama that was playing on my radio, then turning around to see you sitting on my bed and me being so embarrassed but you just started laughing in pure joy which made me laugh and then I didn't feel so bad. I remember when you drove me home from my first semester of college, through the raging thunderstorms and I was a little scared. I remember driving to my first semester of college, with you in the passenger seat, and pulling into the big rig parking at the rest stop in that tiny little pickup truck, and you not saying anything until we got out and all the truckers were looking at us as we walked to the restroom and I finally figured out for myself what silly thing I had done. I remember you taking us to Pic 'N' Save every December so we could go secret Christmas shopping for our mommy and each pick out something for her. I remember all of us squirting water through the gaps in our front teeth at each other, and at the dinner table no less and you were the ringleader. I remember sometimes listening to old-time radio shows with you, like The Shadow.

And I always remember every single day what a great dad you've always been and what a great dad you still are to all of us....

Take 4

Love and appreciation are such personal things they're so difficult to put into words. What I'm really trying to say is you're a great dad and a great person, and you've had such a positive influence on so many people it's amazing. You truly are like one of those skipping stones with a ripple effect. Thanks for rippling me!

"He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." ~Clarence Budington Kelland

"Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad." ~Author Unknown

"I love my father as the stars - he's a bright shining example and a happy twinkling in my heart." ~Terri Guillemets

"A daughter may outgrow your lap, but she will never outgrow your heart." ~Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. Terri,

    Enjoyed reading this. Your dad sounds like quite a man -- and you do a great job of bringing him alive.

    smiles,
    rb

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can understand how much u love ur dad coz i love my dad too this is the best blog i hav ever seen nice really appriciate ur work :)

    ReplyDelete