Sunday, October 25, 2009

Goodbye, GeoCities!


As of October 26, 2009, GeoCities will be no more. And to you I say goodbye GeoCities, and thanks for helping me get my start. In early 1998 you let me sign up for a free webspace with you so I could learn HTML, and you gave me my first address of www.geocities.com/ Athens/Aegean/1994. I created Quotations That Make a Statement and started typing my collection of quotes into your pages. It was nice to get my collection out of WordStar for CP/M and into the world wide web for all to enjoy. You served me well until September 2001 when I was routinely exceeding my allotment of bandwidth and moved to my own domain, www.quotegarden.com. I appreciate the nice system and community you had going back then, and I thank you and bid thee farewell!

"Looking at the proliferation of personal web pages on the Net, it looks like very soon everyone on Earth will have 15 megabytes of fame." ~M.G. Sriram

No comments:

Post a Comment