Monday, October 19, 2015

Sit-down desks and stand-up quotes

Sitting is the new smoking, on vintage photo
Man sits in his library, stamped 1912.
Courtesy: simpleinsomnia on Flickr.
Used under Creative Commons license.
Photo modified & meme'd by TG.
Having just passed the one-year anniversary of changing over from a sitting desk to a standing one, thought I'd showcase my page of quotations about sitting and standing. I love my tall desk so much that I can't imagine ever going back to sitting. Investing in a pair of Dansko shoes has allowed me to work on my feet for hours at a time. Without them, I seem to get sore legs around the two-hour mark. And as a bonus, I've dropped about ten pounds over the past year without changing my diet or exercise habits.

People have been issuing warnings for quite a long time about the dangers of sitting too much. Some of the quotations that I found by digging around in Google Books go back to the 1600s. And there are references to standing desks dating back to the 1700s books. I even picked up a good one from a Benjamin Franklin letter: "my sitting too much at the desk having already almost killed me..."

So what are you waiting for. Untake your seat and head on over to the quotes! www.quotegarden.com/sitting-standing.html

Standing desk, circa 1875
Standing desk, circa 1875. Image digitized by Google Books.
"Of Uncle Max our chief recollections consist in going with our nurse to pay him a little visit every morning after our early breakfast, and before proceeding for our daily walk. This practice continued with little intermission for many years, from the time when we were too small to be trusted alone, until we were fourteen or fifteen years old. I can scarcely remember an occasion on which we did not find dear Uncle Max with a long pipe in his mouth, writing at a high stand-up desk; but the pen was laid down at once, and for half an hour he gave himself up to us. After that there was often a good romp, Uncle Max going down on all-fours and letting us ride round the room on his back, sometimes pretending that he was an elephant, and thereby getting a sly puff to keep alight his long pipe, which did duty as his trunk." ~A.H. Engelbach, Two Campaigns: A Tale of Old Alsace, c.1875

No comments:

Post a Comment